Skip to main content

Mental Health: Finding the Help You Need

May contain: photography, portrait, head, face, person, happy, shorts, clothing, people, grass, plant, and laughing

Mental Health is serious and when your life spins out of control, asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

The American Psychological Association recommends you seek the help of a trained mental health professional if:

  • You constantly worry.
  • You feel trapped.
  • You aren’t getting any better with self-help.
  • You feel as if you can’t handle things alone.
  • Your feelings are affecting your job, relationships, or sleep or eating habits.

Other reasons to seek help: Someone who knows you well suggests that you go to counseling or you have an untreated problem with substance abuse.

These are only some of the symptoms that may warrant seeking help. You may have others that concern you.

Finding help

The first person to talk with may be your family healthcare provider to find out if your symptoms may be caused by medical conditions. If a medical condition is not the cause, your provider may be able to suggest a mental health professional.

The mental health professional you choose should be licensed by your state. These are the types of professionals who provide mental health services:

  • Psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a medical healthcare provider with at least four years of specialized study and training in psychiatry after medical school. Psychiatrists can provide medical and psychiatric evaluations, treat disorders, provide psychotherapy, and prescribe and monitor medicines.
  • Psychologist. A psychologist has a master’s degree in psychology or a doctoral degree in clinical, educational, counseling, or research psychology. Psychologists provide psychological testing and evaluations. A psychologist is also trained to treat emotional and behavioral problems and mental disorders, and provide psychotherapy and behavior modification.
  • Social worker. A social worker has a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree and is licensed to practice social work. Social workers can assess and treat psychiatric illnesses and do psychotherapy.
  • Psychiatric/mental health nurse. This is a specially trained nurse with a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. Mental health nurses can assess and treat illnesses and do case management and psychotherapy. In some states, some psychiatric nurses with advanced training can prescribe and monitor medicine.
  • Licensed professional counselor. A counselor has a master’s degree in psychology, counseling, or a similar discipline and has postgraduate experience. Counselors may provide services that include diagnosis and counseling.

The cost of counseling services depends on whether you choose a public or community-based practitioner, or one in private practice.

Where to look

Finding the way to a solution can be as simple as a making a quick phone call. For example:

  • Consult your employer’s employee assistance program (EAP). Whether you want advice for relationship problems or financial difficulties, or you need help for severe anxiety or drug addiction, an EAP can connect you with services you need.
  • Contact your health insurance carrier, as it may or may not cover mental heath services. Your health plan may have a special phone number you can call to find out if you have coverage, as well as what services are covered and any limit on the amount the plan will pay. There may be restrictions on where you get services.
  • Check with a community mental health center for guidance or a referral. These centers are listed in the telephone book and online and may be the most affordable choice for people who don’t have access to an EAP or who have no mental health coverage. These centers offer a range of mental health treatment and counseling services, usually at a reduced rate if you qualify. They generally require you to have a private insurance plan or to be a recipient of public assistance.

If you don’t have health insurance or your insurance does not cover mental health, look for these resources:

  • Pastoral counseling. Your place of worship can put you in touch with a pastoral counselor. Certified pastoral counselors are ministers in a recognized religious body who have advanced degrees in pastoral counseling and professional counseling experience.
  • Self-help groups. Another choice is to join a self-help or support group to learn about, talk about, and work on problems such as alcoholism, substance abuse, depression, family issues, or personal relationships.

An informed choice

Before establishing a relationship with any mental health professional, make certain the person has training and experience in your area of concern. This could include alcohol, depression, gambling, domestic violence, family therapy, or marriage counseling.

Also, you have the right to choose a professional who can meet your cultural concerns. For example, if you’re a woman dealing with domestic violence issues, feel free to ask for a female therapist. But a therapist doesn’t necessarily have to be like you to be able to help you. What’s most important is that the therapist is someone you feel comfortable talking to honestly and who seems to care about your well-being.

Online Medical Reviewer: Ballas, Paul, DO
Online Medical Reviewer: Nelson, Gail A., MS, APRN, BC

Date Last Reviewed: 6/1/2016

© 2000-2018 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.