SAN GORGONIO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HISTORY
In 1944, a group of civic-minded Banning and Beaumont citizens met to establish a living memorial to the Veterans who had died during World Wars I and II. A letter writing campaign began, and in 1947 the mayors from the two cities each appointed five community leaders to form the San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Hospital District Central Committee.
The official dedication of the San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Hospital took place on March 4, 1951. The 30,000 square foot hospital included 34 medical and surgical beds and 10 maternity beds. In January, just prior to the opening of the hospital, a group of 40 women met to formulate plans for an organization dedicated to assist the hospital - and the Auxiliary was formed in March, 1951.
From 1951 to 1981 several expansion projects increased the size of the hospital to 41,000 square feet. The hospital offered: an Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Department, Laboratory, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Physical Therapy, Dietary, Housekeeping, and Purchasing and Maintenance. By 1981 there were 62 beds. A feasibility study recommended a 72,000 square foot hospital was needed to handle the health care needs of the community through 1990. Another expansion began.
For the first thirty-nine years, the independent San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Healthcare District operated the hospital through a five-member, elected District Board. In 1990, the hospital operations were assumed by the newly formed San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital Corporation, a non-profit public benefits entity. The Corporate Board of 13 members, including the five-member District Board was formed. The San Gorgonio Memorial Healthcare District remained as the owner of facilities leased to the non-profit operating corporation. EPIC Management LP currently manages the Hospital.
In 1991 the hospital celebrated its 40th birthday with a rededication to all who have died in wars since WWII. The word "Pass" was dropped from the name and the facility became known as San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital.
In 1999, the surgical suites and Med/Surg rooms were remodeled, complete with new air conditioning units, furniture, and wall coverings. Vision '97 began by expanding the Emergency Department to include two Urgent Care rooms, and reconfiguring the registration area. The next year, 16 medical and surgical beds were relicensed as a Transitional Care Unit. The 15,000 square foot Women's and Obstetrics' Center opened in 2003, with 10 patient beds, bringing the total number of beds at SGMH to 77.
The Diagnostic Imaging Center underwent a complete remodeling in 2000. New equipment included a digital radiographic/Fluoroscope system, a dual slice spiral CT Scanner bringing state-of-the-art equipment to the area.
In March 2006, the community overwhelmingly passed a general obligation bond for $108 million that will fund the construction of a new Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit; helicopter pad, central plant, and other services.
A 64-slice CT including full PACS was installed in January 2008, replacing the 2-slice CT was purchased in 2000. The CT is capable of detailed 3-D images, including cardiac studies. The fluoroscope was also replaced just months prior. In January, 2008 the first phase a new technology system was installed. During the year, technology was installed throughout the hospital: a voice-recognition transcription system in radiology; a clinical section for capturing nursing notes immediately into the patient's chart; a pharmaceutical section reducing medication errors, and a billing section for timely and accurate billing. By the end of 2009, SGMH will become a digital hospital, virtually paperless and filmless, with fast and accurate sharing of information across the hospital. Patient care and safety have been enhanced as patients who arrive at SGMH will be assured that:
• The administered medications and tests are the correct ones.
• Lab results will be immediately and electronically entered into the correct chart.
• Physicians will have remote access to patients' charts from anywhere outside, enabling them to view test results, read nurses' notes, and see consultants' reports.
Phase Zero, a helicopter pad opened with its first patient being care-flighted out on February 29, 2008. Construction on the cooling towers, oxygen farm and installation of underground utilities began in May, 2008 and was completed in March, 2009. Construction on the hospital's central plant began in late spring, 2009. This building will house the generators, boilers, chillers, and Information Technology for the hospital. Emergency fuel and water will be stored adjacent to this building. The construction began on the Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit building in winter, 2010, and will be finished in winter, 2012. SGMH will begin to see patients in the new ED/ICU in spring, 2013.
San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital continues to expand and diversify its services to better meet the needs of its communities in the ever-changing healthcare environment. SGMH is well equipped to continue to serve a very diverse population ranging from those giving birth to the frail elderly. Its staff members provide health care for each patient, addressing and answering patient's needs individually as valued members of the community. SGMH ensures the local availability of quality, primary, community healthcare.
|600 N. Highland Springs Avenue, Banning, CA 92220 (951) 845-1121|