In 1944, a group of civic-minded Banning and Beaumont citizens met to establish a living memorial to the veterans who had died during world wars I and II. A letter writing campaign began, and in 1947 the mayors from the 2 cities each appointed 5 community leaders to form the San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Hospital District Central Committee.
The official dedication of the San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Hospital took place on March 4, 1951. The 30,000-square-foot hospital included 34 medical and surgical beds and 10 maternity beds. In January, just prior to the opening of the hospital, a group of 40 women met to formulate plans for an organization dedicated to assist the hospital—and the auxiliary was formed in March 1951.
From 1951 to 1981, several expansion projects increased the size of the hospital to 41,000 square feet. The hospital offered an intensive care unit, emergency department, laboratory, radiology, nuclear medicine, physical therapy, dietary services, housekeeping, and purchasing and maintenance. By 1981, there were 62 beds. A feasibility study recommended a 72,000-square-foot hospital was needed to handle the healthcare needs of the community through 1990. Another expansion began.
For the 1st 39 years, the independent San Gorgonio Pass Memorial Healthcare District operated the hospital through a 5-member, elected district board. In 1990, the hospital operations were assumed by the newly formed San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital Corporation, a nonprofit public benefits entity. The corporate board of 13 members, including the 5-member district board, was formed. The San Gorgonio Memorial Healthcare District remained as the owner of facilities leased to the nonprofit operating corporation.
In 1991 the hospital celebrated its 40th birthday with a rededication to all who have died in wars since WWII. The word "Pass" was dropped from the name, and the facility became known as San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital (SGMH).
In 1999, the surgical suites and med/surg rooms were remodeled, complete with new air conditioning units, furniture and wall coverings. Vision '97 began by expanding the emergency department to include 2 urgent care rooms and reconfiguring the registration area. The next year, 16 medical and surgical beds were relicensed as a transitional care unit. The 15,000-square-foot Women's Center opened in 2003 with 10 patient beds, bringing the total number of beds at SGMH to 79.
The Diagnostic Imaging Center underwent a complete remodeling in 2000. New equipment included a digital radiographic/fluoroscope system with a dual-slice spiral CT scanner, bringing state-of-the-art equipment to the area.
In March 2006, the community overwhelmingly passed a general obligation bond for $108 million that will fund the construction of a new emergency department and intensive care unit, helicopter pad, central plant, and other services.
A 64-slice CT including full PACS was installed in January 2008, replacing the 2-slice CT purchased in 2000. The CT is capable of detailed 3-D images, including cardiac studies. The fluoroscope was also replaced just months prior. In January 2008, the 1st phase of a new technology system was installed. During the year, technology was installed throughout the hospital: a voice-recognition transcription system in radiology, a clinical section for capturing nursing notes immediately into the patient's chart, a pharmaceutical section reducing medication errors, and a billing section for timely and accurate billing. Patient care and safety have been enhanced as patients who arrive at SGMH will be assured that:
- The administered medications and tests are the correct ones.
- Lab results will be immediately and electronically entered into the correct chart.
- Physicians will have remote access to patients' charts from anywhere outside, enabling them to view test results, read nurses' notes and see consultants' reports.
Phase Zero, a helicopter pad, opened with its 1st patient being care-flighted out on Feb. 29, 2008. Construction on the cooling towers and oxygen farm and installation of underground utilities began in May 2008 and were completed in March 2009. Construction on the hospital's central plant began in late spring 2009. This building houses the generators, boilers, chillers and information technology for the hospital. Emergency fuel and water will be stored adjacent to this building. The construction began on the emergency department and intensive care unit building in winter 2010 and was finished in winter 2012. SGMH began to see patients in the new ED/ICU in spring 2013.
The next step in construction is the patient care building, a 6-story structure that will bring SGMH into complete compliance with the state of California guidelines for hospital facilities and will meet the needs of the growing population of the San Gorgonio Pass communities. This building will feature a new surgical suite, more patient rooms, a larger gift shop and much more!
San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital continues to expand and diversify its services to better meet the needs of its communities in the ever-changing healthcare environment. SGMH is well-equipped to continue to serve a very diverse population, ranging from those giving birth to the frail elderly. Its staff members provide healthcare for each patient, addressing and answering patient's needs individually as valued members of the community. SGMH ensures the local availability of quality, primary, community healthcare.